September 28, 2020

Hello SFCC Peers,

This week I wanted to talk to you about the importance of civic responsibilities and what they are. Civic responsibilities are tasks bestowed upon citizens by their government to ensure a balance between protection and allegiance. The government would not function without its citizens and there would be no citizens without government.

Millions of Americans are summoned each year to participate in what is called Jury Duty. Jury Duty is the act of serving on a Jury in a courthouse. Jury Duty is the second easiest thing one can do to be a contributive member of society. Although it is illegal to decline Jury Duty without reason, many Americans still do. By doing so they are giving up their individuality and its contribution to the world they live in.

Voting is the easiest thing Americans can do to exercise their civic responsibility. Voting is not something that every American can do, which is why every American capable of voting should, if not for themselves, then for those that can’t. Another group to vote for are the youth, or your children. This group has no vote in any of the major governmental decisions that affect them. Voting by listening to their concerns will allow their voice to be cast by proxy. Finally, the most important reason to vote and promote voting in the community you live in is that by doing so the odds of influencing appointed government officials to take interest in your community increase.

Voting is important to me no matter where you stand on the political spectrum. Voting is the one thing I can do in my chaotic life to make an impact on the world I live in. I want to live in a country whose voice is heard, and right now America’s true voice is not being heard. I don’t want to talk about facts, but there are plenty that suggest voter turnout in the states is not very good. Because American’s aren’t voicing their opinion, our true leader is not being chosen. I know many think the electoral college system is bogus and that a single vote won’t change anything, but that couldn’t be further from the truth. That way of thinking has spread throughout America like wildfire over recent decades. It has cut off the voice of the American people.

Voting in Midterm Elections is more important than voting in the Presidential Election. That’s because the electoral college is comprised of 538 elected officials that represent every voting district in the United States of America. These 538 officials are all elected in the midterms of the Presidential Election. They are the representatives elected by the American people to vote for their constituents’ best interests. By electing a representative affiliated with the two major political parties, you are almost certainly voting for that party’s presidential nominee by proxy. When looking into American Politics you can easily find the importance of a single vote; what is often overlooked is the importance of a single voice.

Thanks for listening,
Robert

Written by Robert Johnson.

About the Author
Hi, I’m Robert! I am a sophomore at SFCC where I have been working the past two semesters as one of Student Success and Retentions Work-Study Students. I am a pre-engineering student here at SFCC, and I plan to transfer to Missouri Science and Technology in the fall of 2021 in pursuit of my bachelor’s degree in Nuclear Engineering. I look forward to sharing with you some of the topics that I think are relevant to student success and community involvement.

SUBMIT A BLOG TO SFCC
Would you like to publish a blog to State Fair Community College? We’re now accepting submissions from students, staff, and faculty. Email your blog submission to Megan Spencer at mspencer8@sfccmo.edu

Toll Free (877) 311-7322

It's about community!

State Fair Community College provides relevant and responsive learning experiences that empower our students and communities to prosper.

Roadrunner logo
Segment Pixel